MIAA Massachusetts High School Hockey

Super 8 Play-in Recap: Framingham vs Reading

Stoneham Arena was full to capacity as Reading and Framingham squared off in the final Super 8 play-in game. It was simple, whoever won got to play Arlington in the Super 8, and the loser would move back into the D1 tournament. Let's see how things played out:

Framingham wasted no time getting on the scoreboard as Jared Shimelman fired a shot from the point that found the back of the net. This was Framingham's second shot of the game and they were already up 1-0. Framingham was then given another opportunity to add to their lead with a powerplay, but could not capitalize. Reading gained their first kind of momentum late in the period as Sean Barbera drove hard to the net and drew a holding penalty. Unfortunately for them, Reading could not score on the opportunity. We headed to the second period with a score of 1-0.

The second period was filled with penalties as there were three separate powerplays that nobody scored on. Reading finally pulled even as Sean Golden received a pass behind the Flyers defense and scored on the breakaway. Framingham did not sit back as right after the equalizer they put themselves back up 1. This time it was Thomas Duane scoring with a wrist shot in the slot. Reading pressed hard at the end of the period and had a golden opportunity before the buzzer that was blocked by a Framingham defender.

The third period was intense the entire way. Both teams failed to convert on powerplay opportunities early in the period. Reading was kept alive late as their goaltender Dylan Emery made an unbelievable full split save to keep the game a one-score game. The game truly looked to be over late, but the Rockets still had some magic left. With the crowd on its feet counting down the clock, Matthew Fiorenza fired a shot into the back up the net with only 0.4 seconds remaining in the game. To overtime we go.

In overtime, both teams wore each other down quickly. The first overtime ended scoreless, so we moved to the 3 on 3 format for the second overtime. It was in the final minute of the second overtime where we finally found a winner. Will Trischitta came down the wall for Framingham and grabbed the loose puck and headed towards the net. He found a tiny bit of opening over Emery's shoulder and picked the corner. Game over. Framingham is headed to the Super 8!

MHL Mobile App Apple bBIG Live Mobile App Google